Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

CFV-50 for V or H4D-40

fbraakman

I am considering purchasing a CFV-50 for my 500C/M, but the other option is to buy a H4D-40 at almost the same price. My V was recently CLA'd and is in good working order. My question is: are the images produced by the CFV-50 on a V similar in quality to those produced by the H4D?

I tried a CFV-50 once and the images were amazing - better than my H3d-39.

But - it was very difficult to nail the focus accurately.

I would suggest that you try both before committing - as the H4D is a very different beast - and takes a while to bond with.

The advantage of the CFV-50 is that it works wonderfully well with other cameras such as ALPA.

I can only add that since I bought a CFV50 "photography has not been the same". For me the combination of an old school camera with the digi back works great. As mentioned by Swissblad, focusing takes a while to get to grips with; but ones you're there..... this is a great combination to work with!

I can only add that since I bought a CFV50 "photography has not been the same". For me the combination of an old school camera with the digi back works great. As mentioned by Swissblad, focusing takes a while to get to grips with; but ones you're there..... this is a great combination to work with!
Thanks for your comments. I just learned that a CFV-39 is available nearby, so I will check it out tomorrow. I will still compare an H3D or H4D, with a 31 MP back to t hwe CFV 39. The CFV 39 is quite a bit less expensive than the CFV 50.

Enjoy testing the CFV-39 and H series bodies.
If I had the spare $ I would buy a CFV as the 503 was my favourite camera, and I really like the look created by the Zeiss lenses.

I have used the CFV for about a year and a half. The answer, depends on what you are doing. For landscape, studio etc it is quite excellent. I also use it for aerial work, and is good as well, however the rapidity of use of the integrated H system could be advantageous.

For myself, the V system still has its charms. One major advantage is the many excellent V system lenses are available and quite reasonable for what they are. I have not experienced the focusing issues some describe, but normally use one of the excellent meter prisms.

The CfV dynamic range is outstanding, if the high ISO abilities are not.

Regards. Tom

Hi Tom

What meter prism do you use?

I do like the feel and working of the old V system blad.

Thanks, S:)
With film I used the PME90, which unfortunately does not work with the CFV 50 due to its length. So I use the PM45 and now the PME45 which I like for its clarity. Too bad the PME90, which I dearly loved, and is relatively a good deal, has just a bit too much overhang.

Seems to make for pretty good exposures. Also sometimes use a Minolta Spotmeter F or a Luna Pro SBC.

T

"With film I used the PME90, which unfortunately does not work with the CFV 50 due to its length. So I use the PM45 and now the PME45 which I like for its clarity. Too bad the PME90, which I dearly loved, and is relatively a good deal, has just a bit too much overhang. "

Tom,

I can't find the article I was looking for, but I remember having read that the PME90 can be altered to fit; perhaps worth checking by yourself... I will also continue to look for this.

regards, Erik

It looks as if some material could be removed from the back of the prism, but having no idea what might be hiding within I avoided this. Thanks for the info

Tom

The magnification of the PM 90 istoo low for digital use. The standard viewfinder is far better.
Usualy I use the 4x4 viewfinder or the old vkewfinder for A70 back that offer good magnification and possibility to take vertical pictures.
To controle a body /screen distance I use the aerial vkewfinder ot 1960!

Surprisingly I have not experienced the focusing issues that many have mentioned. The absolute best unit for focusing is the old stovepipe, which also has the advantage of ultra light weight. For aerial work I most frequently use the 50 mm Distagon FLE. With the pistol grip. Quite amazingly the PME45 works well for vertices, with the grip.

All that said the H series would probably be better if I was just doing aerial work, but the lenses for the V are a real steal these days.

T

Back