Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Distagon 60/5.6

jesalonen

Hi all,

sorry to bother you again, but I did not find any info from the net of Distagon 60/5.6 C lens. Been searching something wider to accompany my 80/120/250 set, and got a nice offer of that Distagon. How would you rate that lens?

BW,

Jari

Jari

That DISTAGON seems to be a collectors item and I think , it is hard to find .
Do you know the serial number ? ? ?
I never could aquire one of these 5,6/60 DISTAGONS .

Jürgen

60 mm 5.6 C lens

I have one of those lenses and can only say it is an excellent lens.
It is the same design as the 60 mm Distagon for the 1600F/1000F cameras but suitable with its leaf shutter for 500 series cameras.

Please keep in mind this lens is about to reach its fiftieth birthday.
That does not mean its quality is getting less but parts for that lens will be difficult to find.

Why not go for the later T* version?
That lens is also 1.5 stop faster.

Thanks! Actually I know the serial number, 2928875. I suppose it means year 1961... I did close the deal already, lens is in good working condition - few minor scratches on the body but glasses are clean. Price was quite cheap - a much cheaper than the 60/3.5...

Jari

distagon 5.6 60 a great lens

Just saw this thread (a little bit late...) but as I recently purchased a 500c together with a 5.6 60 and an S-Planar 5.6 120, I can report that both these lenses are excellent and are in no way outdated. They could possibly benefit from the use of a lens-shade to avoid flare when shooting against the light. With a good exemplar, they are, Hasselblad-like (or Zeiss-like...), built like a tank and small technical wonders not showing their age at all.

Thanks Andreblad, it was not late at all, merely your experience confirms me that I made a right purchase. I've got the 120/5.6 S-Planar as well and I think it is a magnificent lens - especially with 55 extension tube. Sadly that Distagon does not share the B50 bajonet and hence I can't use my compendium with it, have to think some other kind of a shade.

Rgds,

Jari

distagon 5.6 60 a great lens

Indeed, the S Planar 120 with the 55mm extension tube makes fabulous macro shots. Your decision was right indeed and I guess you and I will get satisfaction from our gear for many years to come (provided we get 120 film supply...). I am also using digital (5D and an array of L lenses and a Leica D Lux 4), and like them very much, but the sheer pleasure of using these mechanical Hassy wonders is unsurpassed, not to speak of the quality of the pics. Not to mention of the durability of that all-mech gear.

Easy guys not too much praise for older lenses because the price will go up.........
Properly serviced full metal lenses from the C series will last forever.

The 120 S-Planar and the 135 S-Planar are pure milestones of optical design.
If you promise not to tell anyone they beat the later 120 Makro Planar any time for macro and close up jobs.

Yes, better keep it quiet...;) I used to shoot close-ups with 5D and 180/3.5L macro, and thought that there would not be a better kit. Little does one know... Well, I really can't compare the IQ but the one reason why I love my Hassy is that it makes me slow things down - and that seems to be enough to bring better photos to me.

Thanks! Actually I know the serial number, 2928875. I suppose it means year 1961... I did close the deal already, lens is in good working condition - few minor scratches on the body but glasses are clean. Price was quite cheap - a much cheaper than the 60/3.5...

Jari

Jari , thats the lens I was always after and that is still missing in my little collection .
I envy you . :)

Jürgen

Mine is from 1960 - it's an OK lens, but it really demands a BRIGHT focusing screen. I would like to swap it with a 3.5, but that's a question concerning money.

A beautiful lens that makes nice pictures ! Not easy to focus on old focusing screen !
dista60bleuca.jpg

I still have my 60/3.5 I bought new in 1977 for something like $600. Some of my most enduring photos were taken with this lens. Fairly handy and not so huge.

T

Back