Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Focus - mirror problem

Pedro Cabral

I've sent my camera to CCD cleaning to Hasselblad Sweden. When I got it back I realized they did the CCD cleaning (€ 326) and also an AF calibration (€180) and an exposure button replacement (€50). In spite of sending the camera just for CCD cleaning I believed they did other repairs for best camera performance.
When I started shooting AF Focus failed and I had to send the camera back to Sweden.
I was informed the mirror failed. AF calibration consists of different procedures including mirror alignment and I supposed the new repair would be under the 6 month warranty, as the mirror failed immediately after the repair and an alignment was done by Hasselblad.
I was surprised when I got charged by the new repair and Hasselblad says "This is not something we could have foreseen, neither have caused at the first repair as no repair was made to the mirror at that time."
My question is if anyone had the same problem and if alignment may be a cause to the mirror falling down. Shouldn't Hasselblad repair it under warranty?

I have great sympathy for your situation, it is most unfortunate.

I must declare that I have close links with Hasselblad so you may feel that what I have to say is biased.

The CCD calibration is limited to work on the back, the exposure button replacement is work limited to the grip. The AF calibration is a long process using optical benches and computer alignment but is done on an assembled camera so the part that contains the mirror will probably not have been dismantled or inspected. The statement about being unable to foresee it is true and I am sure that they would have repaired the mirror if there was any sign that failure was imminent. I know this is probably not what you want to hear.

Different markets have different attitudes to servicing (I don't know why), some photographers want a fixed price service charge and a full camera warranty other photographers want an itemised repair only. When I worked for Hasselblad in the UK most UK photographers preferred the first option but now that servicing is available in just 3 centres worldwide Hasselblad have chosen the method that they feels works best.

Now I am an authorised independent (on V system only) my business method is different again to suit the needs of my customers and my company, communication and fast turnaround is most important.

Well, about 30 years ago I sent a part of the shutter of my broken 1000F directly to Hasselblad Sweden. 3 weeks after they send it back with excuse because they have to change two wheels where 6 teeths were missing but they found only 4 in the greace of mecanism (so I have to find the 2 teeths before reconstruction. As the 1000F was not supported they can not charge me for that change and hope I will succed to repair and gave me a certificate of origine for my 1000F and advise not to use this old camera for profesional use. I took time to repair but works after.

Hard to me to imagine they charge for a sensor cleaning and hard to imagine too that Af calibration is 180 Euro : I can imagine that this set up is so important that the constructor may have a special short cut to calibrate it without open the camera (Like the xpan here) http://blowupster.blogspot.ch/2011/01/controler-lalignement-du-telemetre.html

I have great sympathy for your situation, it is most unfortunate.

I must declare that I have close links with Hasselblad so you may feel that what I have to say is biased.

The CCD calibration is limited to work on the back, the exposure button replacement is work limited to the grip. The AF calibration is a long process using optical benches and computer alignment but is done on an assembled camera so the part that contains the mirror will probably not have been dismantled or inspected. The statement about being unable to foresee it is true and I am sure that they would have repaired the mirror if there was any sign that failure was imminent. I know this is probably not what you want to hear.

Different markets have different attitudes to servicing (I don't know why), some photographers want a fixed price service charge and a full camera warranty other photographers want an itemised repair only. When I worked for Hasselblad in the UK most UK photographers preferred the first option but now that servicing is available in just 3 centres worldwide Hasselblad have chosen the method that they feels works best.

Now I am an authorised independent (on V system only) my business method is different again to suit the needs of my customers and my company, communication and fast turnaround is most important.

Thanks for your answer ... I just want to know about the repair in spite of considering they should have a different attitude.

Back