Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hasselbald stops production of V line

I have to say, I am really dissapointed with Hasselblad. There are diluting the brand. Rather than focusing on what made the company respected and building on top of that, they are talking to their own customers like they are stupid. Ferrari cameras and italian design. Really?

This is the mistake that so many great companies make, thinking they have to rebrand their products with layer upon layer of gaudy veneer to make their products more attractive. I despise the Hasselblad management for this. Not because they killed the V-system, I was expecting that, but because they are diluting the Hasselblad brand and developing products, which have opposite characteristics of the qualities that Hasselblad is (was?) respected for. They will pay for this in the long term. Trading long term value creation for a short term sales increae is never a good idea.

I really, really have to agree with you.

When the Looney was released last year, I was really disappointed - I was hoping for a digital Xpan - not some gaudy trash.

I can only hope that the new strategy will fail miserably and that the current looney management will be dismissed.

Hopefully the HB brand will not have suffered too much and can be reinstated in future - however -at the moment I am not optimistic.

I agree. Unfortunately, one can only hope that ownership of Hasselblad changes hands soon. To me, the current direction demonstrates a complete lack of vision for the future of photography. Look at what Leica have done! They have taken their heritage and turned it into a functional, desireable object that fits the needs of the modern consumer - not on superficial level but on several levels: aestetics, functionality, quality, technology, nostalgia to name a few. They need to build a new factory to keep up with orders!
I would disagree with anyone, who would say that Hasselblad cannot do the same. Maybe it is not a refresh of the V system, but a completely new system. Just as Leica is the most respected camera for travel and street photography, Hasselblad could be the most respected camera for portait and landscape photography.

There is a great Hasselblad story to tell (and sell), but appearantly the management has a dumbed-down view of its customers. They assume that only nostalgic v-system users would buy a new camera following the Hasselblad recipe - this is simply not true. All the orders Leica is receiving for the M240 is not from 65-year old M3 users.

The worst parts is that the Hasseblad management only has a superficial understanding of their own company and its worth. That is very sad.

Again: putting a Ferrari logo on your product. It sounds like the worst marketing cliché or an April fools at an ad-agency. But it is a dead serious product...

I am heading down to my local photo store to buy their last 503 body and a couple of A12 backs.

.. oh and I put in a order for a Leica M240. I have faith in that company.

I haven't tried a modern H series camera (with film back) but whilst I would love to use one my problem is that most cameras cannot operate at -30C. Admittedly most NORMAL people don't do photography at night in those temperatures!:lol:

Apologies for any offence caused.:z04_Flucht:
Hello,

haven't been in the forum in while not for lack of using V but for to little time. I think the H series is probably a really great camera with great specs. If I had the economy I would go for it except for... They are not speced for -30C or lower (my need too:) ). Also its great with a camera that is not very battery dependent (Out for a week without possibilities for recharging). This is where the V excells for me. Due to the large amount of equipment it will be no problem using V for a long time (maybe service will be the final problem since many old timers are now retiring).

Chhers,

Polarcirclr

The V is indeed a mechanical marvel - I really need to use mine more as well.
How is life on the "polarcirculen" - amazing scenery ?

It's 2019 and I have just completed putting a 500 series kit together. Never could afford it when it was new. I have a 503 CW late, 3200 ISO/ASA, serviced by Hassy, two late automatic blacks, three finders; W.L., 90 finder with adjustable diopter and a 45 finder metered. Lenses I have a 50 distagon F4 CF and a 80 C F2.8 late model.Most have been recently serviced by Hasselblad. Film, color and B&W is readily available in 120 format.

Back