Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lens Adaptors

Sandokan63

I bought some Fotodiox and 7Artisans adaptors for mounting Leica R & M, Nikon G and Contax/Yashica lenses onto 907X and in quiet moments between calls, I put some lenses on and looked out of window to see if the lens would work or not. This is a brief overview but I havent done any testing as such and havent taken any photos of the dirt on the outside of my window.

Lens Adaptors:

The Fotodiox R to XCD is well machined and works well, although a few lenses have to be fiddled so the locking mechanism clicks in place.

The lenses that have small optical vignetting are 50/1.4E60, 100/2.8 macro, 90/2 Apo, 50/2, 350/5.6

The lenses that appear to have mechanical vignetting from internal construction are 19/2.8, 80-200, 35/1.4

The 7Artisans Leica M to XCD, looks well machined but is stiff to put on and off and a couple of lenses were stiff to remove.

Without too much vignetting: 50/2 Apo, 50/2.8 collapsible elmarit, 90/2.8, 75/2.

Strong optical vignetting - Voigtländer 50/1.0.

Mechanical vignetting, Voigtländer 50/1.1, 21/1.4, 35/1.4 Asph (new), 35/2.0, 75/1.4, Nikon RF 85/3.5 (Nikon to Leica M adaptor)

Fotodiox Contax/Yashica to XCD

Small optical vignetting; 85/1.4

Strong optical or mechanical vignetting; 45/2.8, 28/2.8

Fotodiox Nikon G to XCD
Small optical vignetting; Voigtländer 58/1.4

I use the Novoflex to adapt my Nikon Nikkor PC-E 24mm to the X2D and it works well -- but as noted elsewhere the image circle generated by the 24mm is too small for larger shifts, which suffer hard vignetting. As noted elsewhere I have asked Customer support to allow us to add EXIF data in the camera for aptated lenses/systems to the X2D.

When shooting with the X1D/X1D-ii - did focus peaking work with adapted lenses/systems OR only with XCD/HC lenses?

When shooting with the X1D/X1D-ii - did focus peaking work with adapted lenses/systems OR only with XCD/HC lenses?
When I used my old cf lenses on my Hasselblad xv adapter focus peaking did work. Since there is no real connection to the camera other adapters should work as well. I also just ordered a techart adapter ef to x1d. Will report back on how it works.

Hasselblad Customer Support confirmed to me that the Focus Assist Tool on the X2D "ONLY" works with XCD lenses -- I cannot remember if Focus Peaking on the X1D-ii worked with non-XCD Hasselblad lenses -- like HC/HCD or not. It certainly does not work with HC/HCD lenses attached via the XH adapter today. BUT might this change with new firmware -- I hope so.

I think "focus assist" means auto magnification when manually moving focus ring. It does not work on my adapted lenses. Peaking works across all lenses but I am increasingly frustrated with it and find magnification more accurate.

Thank you for this comprehensive list! I have used a 7artisans lens HB mount and focus peaking works as well as a vintage mamiya lens with afotodiox pro adapter and focus peaking works as well. I have a follow up question: Has anyone found a way around rolling shutter when adapting lenses with the x1dii and shooting handheld? I've read articles and videos but I can't seem to reliably make it work for me. Am I just doomed to replace every lens I own with a duplicate expensive xcd lens?

Hi...
I would like to adapt a Laowa 20mm shift (which seems to be very sharp) to the X1D, and I suppose buying a Laowa 20 for at the GFX mount would be the best solution, but there seems no adapters for that - so as far as I can see there will be 3 other adapters available, a Fotodiox Nikon F-mount to X1D, a Novoflex Nikon F to X1D or a Techart, rather more expensive, for Canon EF to X1D, the last one might transfer the lens data to the camera, I guess.
So as mentioned above one would suppose a restricted shift possibility because of the narrow mount.
Any one with other suggestions?
Thorkil

I snagged the TTArtisan adapter, US$36, a bargain. My Jupiter 8 works fine and the Cooke Amotal fine but with a tiny bit of vignetting. I'll try some old Canons to see how they work but those two lenses are the ones I have good luck with, and the H 55mm of course.

Back