Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lossless jpg?

Genetics

What is the loss on the jpegs from the Hasselblad X1D II C jpeg? Can I set it? TIA. Sorry for the newbie question.

JPEG's are an 8-bit image. That means a smaller palette of colors and less definition. Is it a problem in day-to-day use? Depends on your use. Most professionals, if not all, use the RAW image which can be manipulated with less degradation. I am on an X2D and shoot in both, but use the JPEG's. YMMV

Agreed on the JPEG, I think there is use for the JPEG, but I always want a RAW to adjust before printing of any kind. More importantly, the Phocus app takes advantage of all the color capture and the factory color tuning. If I want more than Phocus provides, I export as a TIFF and edit elsewhere. I will export JPEG from Phocus to post on social media or send in email, or put into my website, but it is a result of the RAW, not from in camera. Just my thoughts…

Back