Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Scanning size and color

macmx

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what the optimal settings are when using my V700 scanner (I am using EPSON Scan) ?

As far as I can tell, the input and output size should be the size of the negative.

Should I scan near the resolution (size) I want to print at?

Even though it is b&w film, should the file be saved as color (RBG) and not greyscale, then convert to b&w in Aperture? If yes, 24 or 48 bit?

Is tiff the best file format? What is the difference between the tif and multi-tif options?

I have recently discovered Ilfords online b&w silver gelatin printing service, and I now want to optimize my scanning for this. I have previously just scanned as a kind of digital contact sheet, but now I want to get the most out of my b&w scans.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :)

Mc

I have a v700 myself,

---------Should I scan near the resolution (size) I want to print at?

yes why not? if you want to print big you should scan big. why wouldn't you?
The v700 is said to top at 2000dpi, so if you set the resolution to say 6400dpi you will only get 2000dpi of REAL information.

-------Even though it is b&w film, should the file be saved as color (RBG) and not greyscale, then convert to b&w in Aperture? If yes, 24 or 48 bit?

RGB and then convert to black and white in whatever software you like (always RGB space)

--------Is tiff the best file format?

There is no such thing as the 'best file format'
Tiff is what it is: uncompressed data, compared to a jpg it can be 10 times bigger in fie size (hence in information)

You definitely get better prints from TIFF than any other format, if you know what you are doing.

--
One final tip: SILVERFAST (comes bundled with the scanner) gives much better resolution, colour and tones than Epson's own software.

Totally agree with the reply and would add that you may wish to consider the BetterScan products. Infinite height adjustment, solid construction and with the ANR glass inserts a much flatter hence sharper scan.

Back