Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

so i used Tri-X 400 this weekend....

sperera

these are friends of mine who will be attempting to row from Gibraltar to Antigua in a boat....a world record attempt....these guys are hard as nails and well=known now in the world ocean rowing fraternity.....i am honoured to call them my friends....

Attachments

• SigJul_Gods_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_Gods_fb.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 12
  • SigJul_Tunnel_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_Tunnel_fb.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 12
  • sigurd_crashwave_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    sigurd_crashwave_fb.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Sigurd_Face_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    Sigurd_Face_fb.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 24
  • SigJul_heroes_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_heroes_fb.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 14
  • SigJul_Gods_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_Gods_fb.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 13
  • SigJul_Tunnel_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_Tunnel_fb.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 14
  • sigurd_crashwave_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    sigurd_crashwave_fb.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Sigurd_Face_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    Sigurd_Face_fb.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 23
  • SigJul_heroes_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_heroes_fb.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 14
a few more....they aim to do it in about 100 days or so....if this peaks your interest follow their progress on this site....they are waiting for weather window to get out there first...
http://www.herkules.gi/

Attachments

• SigJul_sea_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_sea_fb.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 12
  • SigJul_posers3_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_posers3_fb.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Julian_hatch2_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    Julian_hatch2_fb.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 25
  • SigJul_atseaRowing_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_atseaRowing_fb.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 13
  • SigJul_Lighthouse_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_Lighthouse_fb.jpg
  • SigJul_chilling1_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_chilling1_fb.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 11
  • SigJul_sea_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_sea_fb.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 11
  • SigJul_posers3_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_posers3_fb.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Julian_hatch2_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    Julian_hatch2_fb.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 25
  • SigJul_atseaRowing_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_atseaRowing_fb.jpg
  • SigJul_Lighthouse_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_Lighthouse_fb.jpg
  • SigJul_chilling1_fb.jpg
    EXIF
    SigJul_chilling1_fb.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 11
I so love this film. I assume this is the newer Tri-X, it is still perfect for your subject matter. The second and third picture form the first set are just about perfect.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your encouragement!

yes, its the newer Tri-X 400 as opposed to the Tri-X 320 P...actually, would you care to comment on the older film....

I found some shops in Spain that still sell it but they're like 1,10 euros more expensive than the newer film......so i wonder if worth it

I used Tri-X about 22 years ago in 35mm format but havent used it since then til now....

Now Tri-X comes in two flavors, ISO 320 which is meant for indoors under atrificial lights and seems to handle highlights a bit better, and ISO 400 which is meant for natural sunlight and seems to have better definition in the shadows.

Then you have the old Tri-X in both speeds which is the formula from my youth. I think they stopped making that formula back in the early to mid 90's. To me it is THE classic B/W film. ( yes I am an "old" guy and allowed my opinion, lol )

I have not done a side by side comparision yet, but my understanding is that on the newer Tri-X they have smoothed out the toe and heel of the film to give fuller mid tones. I have also been told, although again I have not verified it, that the newer Tri-X "sees" reds a little differently then the old one.

I have 30 rolls of the old Tri-X in the freeze and just ordered a second back for my 500 so I will be doing some side by sides as soon as the weather cooperates a little.

Along with how it handles shadows, I am interested to see the grain structure of the newer Tri-X. The old film was great for doing portraits of men, particularly working men who had some character to their face. That third picture of yours is the look I remember and is very encouraging!

Good light to you,
Harry

Hello Harry ans Sperera

Great pictures indeed - I agree TriX is a fantastic film but can you tell me for about the processing ans scanning.
Thanks - regards

Bernie

......to offer some wisdom myself.....on my drum scanner there's no signs of newton rings which is a pain with the other 100ASA films ive been using recently.....
on the enlarger the grain is not noticeable either!!!!! i have as much trouble focusing the enlarger looking fro grain as with 100 asa films......
so i could well be turning to 400 asa film from now on for B/w....dunno.....Ive heard loads of good things about T-Max 400 too.....
dunno though....this new woman in my life Tri-X is a seductive little thing isnt she.....

Sperera,

I shot quite a bit of TMAX in 4x5 when it first came out. The grain is almost non-existant, but I was not happy with the contrast and I felt like it was too easy to blow out the highlights when pushing it. All of which might be my technique as much as anything, At the time I was developing it in a Jobo rotory processor.

Also, I was wet printing back in those days. Those negatives might be really good for scanning and digitally printing. If I ever get this SprintScan 45 working again I will have to try them!

Let me know how your experiments go.

-Harry

i shot the film rated at 400 ASA and developed it in XTol stock solution at 20 degrees for 7 minutes.
I mixed up the X-Tol into 5 x 1ltr bottles and I'm using the recommended (by many people on APUG) process of using say 500ml and then throwing 100ml till i get through it all.....kind of like ageing winer and all that!

Some of the shots are really great!But I'm missing some contrast, some parts are a bit too grey for my liking.

Back