Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Can anyone tell me what is this ?

RAW

I have taken a series of photos, this one is in Paris, as you see, on the left side, we see a problem with image. Lines
Do any one knows what the problems may be.

many thanks in advance

davidhttp://www.hasselbladinfo.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

• Hass-forum.jpg
    EXIF
    Hass-forum.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 36
Part of the lines have the same shape as the right hand side of the Hasselblad film gate but there are other shapes in there as well. I don't think that this has happened in the camera. Do you see this on the negative?

Douglas. thank you for getting back to me, the answer is yes I do see this on all the negatives .

thank you

david

It is hard to tell from the sample, perhaps the whole roll of film shows more evidence but my best guess is that during the processing the coils of film may have been touching each other. That is if it was tank processed, if it was machine processed then I am probably wrong.

Attachments

• Blad-1.jpg
    EXIF
    Blad-1.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Blad-3.jpg
    EXIF
    Blad-3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 35
I have never seen anything exactly the same as this but it does resemble some processing faults I have seen. But to make a proper diagnosis any service engineer would need to see the condition of the film in the unexposed sections outside of the frame area and they would also need to have a very good knowledge of the Hasselblad camera and film processing techniques.
Try and take more photographs under controlled conditions and have them processed in the same way and a second set processed a different way.

Douglas, once again thank you for your sound advice. these photos and others are intended for an exhibition. i am not sure if I can present them in this condition !

kind regards

david

Is your square gate at the back on the back loose, have you changed your light seals and not tightened down the square plate? check screws... secure?

Can i add something to this, here are 4 negs some have lines and defects some don't , but on this 3rd and 4th test shot i have deliberately turned the brightness down and the contrast up to show you, these are not scanner lines, are they ghost ladders caused by over agitation? or is it something else on the camera back Hasselblad 500 ELX 80mm lens, fuji neopan 400 iso film for all images. i have never ever encountered this before, its all rather puzzling!

Attachments

• fuji-neo-jason (1) - Copy.jpg
    EXIF
    fuji-neo-jason (1) - Copy.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 25
  • fuji-neo-jason (2) - Copy.jpg
    EXIF
    fuji-neo-jason (2) - Copy.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 22
  • fuji-neo-jason (3) - Copy.jpg
    EXIF
    fuji-neo-jason (3) - Copy.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 19
  • fuji-neo-jason (4).jpg
    EXIF
    fuji-neo-jason (4).jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 23
Is your square gate at the back on the back loose, have you changed your light seals and not tightened down the square plate? check screws... secure?

Funny , who has put up these questions ? And what are the answers to them ?
Have you tried to do some test shots with an other film back ? ? ?
How old was the film roll and how was this roll stored ? ? ?

Funny , who has put up these questions ? And what are the answers to them ?
Have you tried to do some test shots with another film back ? ? ?
How old was the film roll and how was this roll stored ? ? ?
What makes your reply any different? some may not have access to another A12 back and too shy to say or are waiting to eliminate any other possibilities first, there is no such thing a stupid question.
What I will say is that 9/10 others will always fall back on the "devving faults" and hopefully get it right, quite frankly I cannot see anywhere on Raws images that its a fault from developing, if you know how to take a back apart you will know that the plate (Square guard) that holds in the light traps and what your darkslide slips under could only of made a semblance of his problems, (this isn't to say its the fault) how else would you get the two notches superimposed as if it was a double exposure, onto Raws film? Not every defect can be attributed to the developing stage.

Last edited:
There is some misunderstanding . Sorry .
So please let me ask , who is the addressee for the questions in post #8 ? That is not quite clear to me now .

To nail down the culprit for your described issue , in the moment I can only see three individual areas which are :

aaa) mechanical malfunction of camera and/or film back . To exclude the back , it would of course be nice to have an other back .
If you don't have a second back , you might be able to borrow one from a friend .
If this is not possible , you could try the following . Attach the loaded back to the camera . Pull the dark slide and then use a black insulating tape and tape all around the back
in the area where the back attaches to the camera body . Additional , you could hang a cap over the back , just to make sure that no light comes to the back . Your first image
then might show a light seal issue , but all others should not . If your issue is still seen , then of course it is unlikely that you have a light seal problem .

bbb) Check your film loading process to the spool and make sure the film is properly loaded . If the film by mistake contacts itself in the spiral , issues like yours could show .
And of course make sure no light can destroy your loading .
Check and make sure , that developer and fixer are fresh and clean .

ccc) Check the film for proper rollup on the spool and that the film has not been exposed to strong light before you load the film to the back .

Hope , this helps a bit .

Back