Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

DNG conversion

Ale

I would like to convert a few fff files coming from a Hasselblad Flextight X1 scanner to the DNG format. Is it possible? How can i do that?
Thanks
Alessandro

Hi Alessandro

You will need to install FLEXCOLOR . You can download FC from http://www.hasselblad.com .
You have to register first to get access to the download section.
You will find instructions on how to use FLEXCOLOR with the X1 scanner .

Please note , that PHOCUS can not (yet) handle 3F files .

Jurgen

I am using Flexcolor 4.8.4 with an older Imacon (343) scanner, and have a couple of .pdf manuals, but as far as I can tell the only output file options are 3F and TIFF.

There is nothing wrong with TIFF .
I prefer TIFF to DNG .
Can anyone please tell me , why I should use DNG ? ? ?

Jurgen

My answer is based mostly on inexperience, as the only raw (DNG) files that I have worked with were from a Leica M8 demo, but it seemed to me that some of the controls, e.g. colour temperature, highlight/shadow recovery, in raw conversions programs (Photoshop, i.e. presumably ACR, and a demo version of Aperture) were much more powerful and easier to use than trying to achieve the same effects in Photoshop when working on a tiff file (e.g. Curves).

TIF vs DNG

My answer is based mostly on inexperience, as the only raw (DNG) files that I have worked with were from a Leica M8 demo, but it seemed to me that some of the controls, e.g. colour temperature, highlight/shadow recovery, in raw conversions programs (Photoshop, i.e. presumably ACR, and a demo version of Aperture) were much more powerful and easier to use than trying to achieve the same effects in Photoshop when working on a tiff file (e.g. Curves).

Tiff is good to work with but the metadata and other changes you make are in a sidecar text file. When archiving, that needs to be associated with it. If not, you lose the good stuff. Or better still, archive in DNG because there is no sidecar attachment, it is in the DNG. TIFF for manipulation if you wish, DNG for archiving (although you can manipulate in DNG as well). With my Leica files, I never leave DNG (in Lightroom) except if I want a fine print. It then goes to TIFF, and then to Colorburst for printing.

Back