Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Jack Guy in Hasselblad video Our Legacy, Your Future

rcs907x

In the subject 2019 video, it illustrates the photographer, Jack Guy, using a Hasselblad 501cm with a CFV II 50c back. According to Hasselblad's process, you need to use a release cable to lock the shutter open to frame and focus. However, Jack is not using a release cable yet still able to take a photograph and I would like to be able to do the same. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

In the subject 2019 video, it illustrates the photographer, Jack Guy, using a Hasselblad 501cm with a CFV II 50c back. According to Hasselblad's process, you need to use a release cable to lock the shutter open to frame and focus. However, Jack is not using a release cable yet still able to take a photograph and I would like to be able to do the same. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
I do not know if the camera has the same functionality as the 501CM, but I use a 500C and a cable release is not required.

Thanks
Hello rcs907x

Please have a look to HASSELBLAD CFV II 50c USER GUIDE , intoduction on page 13 .
There you will find , under 1.10 a connectivity chart -mechanical shutters , showing , for which HASSELBLAD camera set up you will need the flash sync input cable .
See especially "cable free operation" .

You can download the users guide from the HASSELBLAD internet pages .

As you can not use AF , when using the CFV II 50c on a V-SYSTEM camera , you must use MF and therefore use a (mechanical) release cable to lock the shutter open .
I can not see an other way to keep the shutter open , to operate in LV with MF . Is he using the "B" setting for the shutter and then after focusing is done , set the shutter to the desired speed ? ? ? ?

There is a small lever around the shutter button the locks the shutter in the open position.
Press shutter and turn. Mirror will stay up and you can focus!.
Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_9494.JPG
    EXIF
    IMG_9494.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 14
There is a small lever around the shutter button the locks the shutter in the open position.
Press shutter and turn. Mirror will stay up and you can focus!.
Hope it helps.
Thanks to all who responded.After some thought, I was assuming Jack was working with live view; he is not. He is using the camera exactly as if he was shooting film viewing through the waist level finder. I am not sure Live View is an essential advantage prior to the shot; you still have an image after the shot to verify . . . Just like Jack did. In bright light, you have the disadvantage of glare on the CFV II 50 c viewing screen and using a 503cxi, the waist level with magnifying eyepiece , I believe this is a good work around to eliminate glare and aid in critical focus.

Back