Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Just married..

wbulte

hi folks,

I recently decided to give the poor-man's 30mm option a try. This option being an adapter ring to marry the Xpan body to a PC-Nikkor lens. In my case I found an 28mm/f3.5 lens on eBay, the same auction site supplied me with a well-built adapter ring.

For those not in the know: a PC-Nikkor is a Perspective-Correction wide angle Nikon lens that allows shifting the optical system off-center relative to the lens-mount bajonet. This is the same concept as used with a technical/view camera to control perspective. Typical example: to avoid 'falling over' buildings in architectural shots.

All of it just arrived today (thank you customs.. :( also for the import duty :z04_pc2: ) So, in other words, I have not had the opportunity to try things in anger. That will soon change, rest assured!

In the meantime I felt posting some snapshots of the whole assembly might be of interest to some of you in the meantime.

DSCF2020.jpg

DSCF2023.jpg

DSCF2024.jpg

DSCF2025.jpg

DSCF2026.jpg

Wilko

Attachments

• DSCF2026.jpg
    EXIF
    DSCF2026.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF2025.jpg
    EXIF
    DSCF2025.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF2024.jpg
    EXIF
    DSCF2024.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF2023.jpg
    EXIF
    DSCF2023.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF2020.jpg
    EXIF
    DSCF2020.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 18
I'll be interested in your evaluation Wilko. I have the xpan and the 28mmPC so all I lack is an adapter. I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't quite cover the format?

Terry

I'll be interested in your evaluation Wilko. I have the xpan and the 28mmPC so all I lack is an adapter. I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't quite cover the format?

Terry

I have been in contact with Wilco Janssen, the Dutch HB repair tech who built the first adapters in the first place. He told me coverage is indeed 'on the edge' as it where. That said, results that I have seen compare very favourable to the 'royal option' of the Fuji/HB 30mm.

We will see...

Wilko

Good luck with the marriage, I do the opposite by using my 40 & 50mm Distagons, my 80mm Planar and 150 & 180mm Sonnars on my Canon's to give tilt & shift functions using a Mirex adapter. They work great.

I only wish I had brought them with me to Hong Kong as tha mutitude of tall buildings would give some great tilt and/or shift images.

Developed..

Just developed the Agfapan 100 film I used to make some test shots yesterday.

The film cassetta had a handwritten sticker on it indicating I put the film in the cassette in 1985 :z04_975:, cut from a 90ft spool.... So the results are slightly biased by a slightly oldish film.

Given that it is still drying while I type this I cannot really say much about the image quality. What I can say is that the image circle of the PC-Nikkor is not covering the full 65mm width of the frame. Which is not unexpected,

Stay tuned, I hope to have time to scan some samples tomorrow evening

Wilko

First shots

Here are my test shots. Nothing to write home about as far as subjects go. Lousy weather (light rain) also did not help. Please note that the buildings are built along a circular road, so the buildings themselves are 'bent' as well. So do not blame either of the lenses.

Picture below is (obviously) from the PC-Nikkor. It is obvious that the image circle of Nikkor does not fully cover the panoramic frame of the Xpan.
20110709-01-14-F22-28.jpg

Comparison shot made with the Xpan 45mm. The difierence in angle of view is impressive.
20110709-01-15-F5.6-45.jpg

Sofar so good..

Wilko

Attachments

• 20110709-01-14-F22-28.jpg
    EXIF
    20110709-01-14-F22-28.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 24
  • 20110709-01-15-F5.6-45.jpg
    EXIF
    20110709-01-15-F5.6-45.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 34
Hi,

I'm assuming that you're not actually using the Perspective Control of the Nikkor lens itself, and that it's left centred. I wondering if any wide angle FX Nikkor lens could work with this adaptor?

Also, where did you find such an adaptor (eBay), are they common to find, or was this built specifically to order?

Many thanks
Steve

Indeed, the PC-Nikkor is used in its non-shifted setting.

Other (non-PC) Nikkors also fit, but of course will not cover the panoramic format. The PC Nikkor's image circle is already too small for full coverage, so a non-PC Nikkor is even worse, it will cover only the non-panoramic 24x36mm format.

The adapter was bought off eBay, it is not a specially machined custom part.

Wilko

Thanks Wilko,

I don't suppose these are listed as an Xpan to Nikkor adaptor, is this Xpan lens mount adaptor just basically a Lecia to Nikkor bayonet mount?

Also, are you aware if anyone has tried mounting a wide angle medium format lens (i know it would make the camera increadbly heavy and cumbersome to handle)?

I suppose though that the cost of that is probably approaching the same as the offical Hasselblad 30mm lens...

Thanks Wilko,

I don't suppose these are listed as an Xpan to Nikkor adaptor, is this Xpan lens mount adaptor just basically a Lecia to Nikkor bayonet mount?

Also, are you aware if anyone has tried mounting a wide angle medium format lens (i know it would make the camera increadbly heavy and cumbersome to handle)?

I suppose though that the cost of that is probably approaching the same as the offical Hasselblad 30mm lens...

I just did an eBay search using: "xpan adapter" and first hit is already spot on.. Something like US$ 65. I think mine was a bit more expensive, US$ 80 or so.

Leica? Xpan does not have a Leica mount...

A MF lens would not buy you much (at least that is what I think..) as typically they are >= 40mm in focal length.

cheers,
Wilko

Back