Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Poll: What should be the name of this forum in the future?

What should be the name of this forum in the future?

• Mediumformatforum.com

Votes: 37 72.5%
  • Mediumformatcommunity.com

Votes: 14 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dirk

MFF-Founder
Administrator
Dear members,

in September 2018 I relaunched the old Hasselbladinfo.com Communty Forum under the name "MediumFormat.family. At that time I wanted to underline the move from a Hasselblad only forum to a Medium Format platform for all brands. Like a bigger family.

After almost 3 years, I can see that a domainname with the ending ".family" is difficult for search engines, if someone is searching for a forum or a community for Medium Format photography.

Therefore I am thinking about changing the domainname to something more search engine friendly. For this I need your opinion.

I have two different domainnames to offer, which could fit better than the current domainname:

1. Mediumformatforum.com

2. Mediumformatcommunity.com

Obviously the difference between the two is only the second half of the name. Either "forum" or "community".

The question is now: Which one do you like the most?

Please vote for your preferences in the poll and it would be great, if you could also write a comment below the poll, why you prefer #1 or #2.

You can also discuss it with others below or bring up totally new ideas. The poll will be open for 4 weeks. Enough time to think about it. The poll will end on 25.4.2021 at 5.30pm German time.

Best wishes

Last edited:

oroborus57

Good morning,

thank you Dirk to keep and polish things up.
the word "forum" is - as Jeffdrew puts it - easier to remember for the older Guys/Ladies. Correct, and I'm old as well.
However, "forum" has often a negative touch, think about the average level of comments in our average press all over internet.

Today, the main opinion forms itself in fora - plural of forum - which only represent "consensus".
"Consensus", as we know, is not "reality".

Have a nice day, Philippe

RobC

Community has a friendlier feel but from a search engine perspective, I would always use forum.

Vivaldi

Mediumformatforum.com is my preference because it is most specific, and anyone using a search engine to find a forum for discussion of medium format would likely use the word “forum“ in the search, and therefore, find it more easily.

philimage95

Community is a notion that I like more, it speaks of people who share a project, an idea, an approach, a philosophy. But if we remain pragmatic and practical, for a more effective communication, "forum" is fully justified. Your goal, Dirk, is to continue to exist, to make yourself better known and to expand the family. Consequently, I choose the reason.

Have a nice day,
Philippe

jim_lukow

I agree with people that forum is the easier option for searches, but here is a chance to tweek the outlook of the site. I registered originally because through good fortune and the generosity of a family friend I "inherited" a 500 C/M. I had visited from another forum supporting analog photography. For reasons I can't remember - after looking through various posts I found a lack of community which I experienced from day one in the other forum. We who keep shooting film for whatever reasons we choose - find ourselves in a minority that needs the support that comes from community. Having it in the name doesn't guarantee things but it may encourage.
Thanks,
Jim

dirk

MFF-Founder
Administrator
Ok, the poll is over. Thank you all for your votings and comments!

The majority of the members voted for the new domainname "Mediumformatforum.com".

I will change the current domainname Mediumformat.family probably next week to "Mediumformatforum.com". I have to design first a new logo etc.

After that is done, I will put then a deviation from the old domainname to the new one. Please bear in mind, that old links to specific threads will probably not work after the switch.