Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Stick with film and get a decent scanner

> I use its "ancestor", the Coolscan 8000 ED. t does very nicely. > You will have to kick the gain up 1.5-2.0 on slides. B&W and color > negs do fine on more "normal" settings. The glass carrier is best, > esp with the 220 film size, to keep it "flat". Vuescan (a > shareware scanner product) also runs the scanner, so you might try > that and the Nikon software to see which you prefer.

Fantastic post Marc - thanks. I'm sorry I did not see this thread earlier. So I have some reading to do since it seems you got everyone thinking a lot!

But it is very interesting and helpful to amateurs like me to learn from your experience and views of such a wide range of MF gear - film and digital - different horses for different courses.

can anyone recommend a good pro-sumer flatbed scanner. Inexpensive is a plus.
I shoot b&w for myself, color for some clients.

Hi Cameron,

I'm using an Epson V700 myself with good results. With a little work I get a good 11x22 print from my horseman 6x12 and nice 16x16 from my friends SWC negs. I use viewscan software because I can calibrate the scanner and make my own film profiles. I had to go with an aftermarket MF film holder for accurate focus but at 3200dpi I can scan Fuji Reala negs and see the grain before I see pixels.

Cameron, The Epson recommendation is a good one. For flatbed scanning I use an Epson 4870 Photo, which has since been superseded by an even better model.

Flat beds do not match a dedicated Medium Format film scanner for image quality, but given a tight budget, are very good, and better than many give them credit for.

Even though I have a high-end film scanner, I use my flatbed to make contact sheets, and to scan prints that need restoration or prints where the negative is no longer available.

One amazing thing about flatbeds is that you can scan silver-prints and retain the optical qualities inherent in using an analog darkroom enlarger. In fact, some famous photographers use this approach to digitize their work. Because enlarger made optical prints tend to use diffused light, the scans are far less grainy looking than when scanned from the original negative. These silver-print scans made on a flatbed look very similar to the original even when printed on an ink-jet printer using papers like Crane's Mueso Silver Rag ... a paper that looks and feels so much like double weight silver-print paper that it's scary.

G'Day Cameron:

I am very happy with the Epson V750M Pro, Silverfast latest update 6.5.0r5 - it was bundled with the 750 at least (it has profiles for negatives 'Negafix' which suit me) - and an after market set of film holders which keep my MF negs flat.

Although there is little doubt that a dedicated 'high end' film scanner will out perform a good flatbed, the results I can get if I take my time are very acceptable to me. D-Max is also good with the V750.

This 'package' above will still have you well under $1000. I have also seen excellent results with the 700. Notwithstanding all the high tech stuff, the Universal Law still remains ... rubbish in = rubbish out. I have never been able to make a poor picture into a great picture.

Flatbeds are flexible, as Marc says. You can always send out the 'special' film for a high end scan.

Cheers,

Colin

www.silverfast.com
www.betterscanning.com

z04_Flucht.gif

Colin:

What kind of scan times does the Epson V750M provide using firewire connections? Is there a difference in time for film vs. prints? I currently use a Nikon LS9000 that my computer refuses to "see" due to the actions of a wayward cockateil and I'm thinking of the 750 as both a backup and as an entry into the photo restoration competion locally.

I am awaiting delivery of a Coolscan LS 9000 ED and I am a bit worried by this problem of yours. WTF is a wayward cockateil? It sounds like a badly behaved parrot. :D

A wayward cockateil is a winged beast approximately 6" tall that roams a domicile at will due to his mainly asthetic qualities..."Ohhh, he's soooooooooo cute!" Said beast chirps incessantly as he goes about the business of chomping on everything within reach, presumably merely to revel in the glory that comes with a newly created mess. This particular beast was successful in breaching only the braided shielding on the firewire connecting the scanner to the computer, but somehow the computer was rendered "blind" and no longer "see"s the scanner. Replacing the firewire proved no value and talks with Nikon techs have resulted in a suggestion to ship the unit to their New York facility for further inspection. I haven't gotten the nerve up to send it off yet for fear of the resultant financial "hit". I can however report that efforts to erradicate the afore mentioned beast have only incurred the wrath of the Domestic Goddess who is the Supreme Ruler of the Domicile wherein I reside. Even in Texas it's cold when you have to sleep on the porch alone!

For what it's worth, the LS 9000 performes FLAWLESSLY and I am VERY satisfied with it's operation and output. I would recommend use in a BEASTfree environment
biggrin.gif

Hi Melton,

From my experience in a former life as an EET this is a common problem with connectors that are soldered to a circuit board without a machanical connection to the devices case and in most cases are pushed up against a wall or the like. Most service centres these days will just replace the offending board ($$$$) when a good tech can just repair the connector ($). Check with a good local electronics repair shop and have them check the connector as chances are good that it's just broken right above the solder connection or even in a worst case the board is cracked and even that can easily be repaired ($$). Remember this is just the firewire plug so there's no need it do any real diagnostics or calibrations on the unit. Best of luck.

Franc

Hi Colin,

Have you ever looked at VueScan. www.hamrick.com . It has some pretty impressive customers and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. You get up-grades and film profiles included for $90USD. IT8 targets for profiling your scanner are another $80USD. It will also produce a raw DNG file so full control in lightroom and photoshop are possible and it's super easy to use. IMO it is the best software out there, it supports over 700 scanners so if you've go an older scanner you want to breath new life into this is the software you want to try. I've used it with my Minolta ScanMultiII, Polaroid SprintScan 45 and my Epson v700 all with good results. With Silverfast I needed to buy a different version for each scanner.

Franc

G'Day Franc:

Thanks for the comment on Vuescan. I will look at it. I only have the one scanner (V750M Pro) so multiple unit flexibility is a moot point for now, and the 750 came with Silverfast 6 Ai at no extra cost. I have upgraded versions (for a few dollars) and have become used to it. It will scan to 48 bits if I wanted. For the moment, I will try to wring out all that Silverfast offers, but I will certainly take a closer look at Vuescan. Actually, the bigger problems which I have mainly overcome have been film carriers, keeping the media flat, keeping the dust off, and testing how far I need to take the scan passes etc. I have also tried the liquid mounting. The silverfast support forum is good, and I am really impressed by the rapid and personal response from the Silverfast support team. (My latest 'test' is scanning the media twice so that the second scan is for a 'heated' piece, just to see if there is a difference.)

G'Day Melton:

I use Firewire (with the anti-cockateil cable) feeding into an iMac Intel with lots of horsepower. Actually I scan directly to a G Drive so I can do other stuff while I am scanning. I really do not time the scans - I know it takes longer to set it up, than to scan it!! I have scanned positive and negative film in MF and 35, with good results. I'm sorry that I have no prior reference for 'speed' because this is my first digital darkroom venture. I have done multi pass high resolution scans making 300MB files, and these seem to take 6-8 minutes, but again, I have not timed it. I am usually off doing something else, and when I get back to it, it's done. I sometimes 'batch scan' for contact sheets, but more often concentrate on one piece.

You might find something of interest at this website page. http://www.terrapinphoto.com/jmdavis/

Cheers,

Colin

BTW, for other forum members, the Cockatiel (Quarrion) is native to the Australian bush where I was born and raised. We had thousands of them in the fields, especially around wheat season. Of course, back then, no computers, so they HAD to eat wheat.
biggrin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatiel

Hi Colin,

I'm considering the liquid unit for my v700 and was wondering what you think. I am now using the betterscanning MF holder with anti newton glass and it gives me excellent results but I'm wondering if the liqiud unit is even better. what are the maximum sizes it will accomodate.

Franc

G'Day Franc:

I have only used the Aztek.com supplied wet film system to scan very old negatives with dust and ?mould/fungus issues - in an effort to reduce post scanning touch up. I also used it a couple of times to flatten 35mm astrophoto negatives (comets) which I had processed, dried, rolled up and put back in the canister - then misplaced the canister for years!! Wet mounting has worked great for me, but I don't see it as an everyday user. I have negatives from the 50s and 60s (gulp!) and some have not been stored archivally, if you get my drift.

I am out of town checking my email, or I could send you an ex&le of the wet v. dry scan for a dusty/mouldy old neg.

I know the V750M has a different optical coating, but I don't know why Aztek specifies the kit as for the 750 and doesn't mention the 700. Maybe you could ask them. http://www.aztek.com They also have a video about the process which is helpful.

At the /kami_advantage.html page, you will read why their fluid is much better than the older 'oil' based fluid. There is no mess with the new fluid. Once again, 'slow and sure' is necessary for good results.

I was at another site ( I use Macs) and saw this which mentions some of what I said above. http://www.maclife.com/article/epson_perfection_v750_m_pro

The anti newton glass from betterscanning is also OK for the mounting as far as I can see, although you get mylar with the aztek kit.

Cheers,

Colin

Back