Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Sunrise, Glendu Bay

Fliger747

Sunrise, Glendu Bay, Wanaka NZ. Had to drag my asp out of bed, just like the snake charmer..... Hassy 500CM, TCFV50, vert pan of two images.

T

Attachments

• Glendu Sunrise vertt pan small.jpg
    EXIF
    Glendu Sunrise vertt pan small.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 45
The clarity and depth of this shot are amazing! A large print of this image would draw folks into a huddled mass of smiling and drooling photographers who would like to have shot this. Wonderful!

The clarity and depth of this shot are amazing! A large print of this image would draw folks into a huddled mass of smiling and drooling photographers who would like to have shot this. Wonderful!

Thanks! It does make a nice print. Just got back from NZ again. Great place for photographers. I have had some good luck with merging photos to get wider angle or better dynamic range, or depth of field. I just need a bigger printer.... 17 inches is all I can do width wise now.

Regards from Alaska. Tom

I had the same limitations until purchasing my new Canon 24-inch printer. A 24-inch square print of this would be wonderful, and I would not crop anything. If you could go to forty inches square that would be even better. Back in my lab days (my wife and I owned and managed a commercial lab with 18 employees), we had a 52-inch processor for Ektaprint. Your image would also make an outstanding display transparency. We used to make those up to 30 x 40 along with the display boxes. But that was over 30 years ago, so today I have to be satisfied with the 24-inch maximum in one direction (can print over 100 inches in the other dimension if you have the right source file). I only print for myself these days or I would offer to make a print for you (stress is not my friend). Bottom line: this image deserves to be displayed. BTW you mention Alaska: we almost moved to Wasilla back in 2001, and I immediately fell in love with Alaska. Where do you live?

For most purposes the 17 inch printer is OK, but I do like to make panoramas and the 34" limitation on length with the 3800 irritates me.

I do like what I call the pixel depth from the Hassy, a lot of information that can be pulled out of shadow and highlight. I will have to think hard as to whether or not a wider format printer is necessary.

I live in Fairbanks, where our motto for the winters is "Way Cool"...... Lots of light and sunshine now.

Cheers. T

Glad you like it. Very early in the morning, hard to drag myself out of the sack. Even though the 40 mm Distagon is fairly wide, the CFV50 crops it down somewhat, so the image is actually a vertical pan of two shots merged. Probably the best attribute of the CFV50 is it's dynamic range.

Regards from Alaska. Tom

Tom, can you share some shots from Alaska with those of us stuck in the 'lower 48'? I just purchased a digital back for the Hasselblad, and I'm finding that leaving out the steps of film processing and film scanning are not activities I miss. Going from a shoot in the Black Hills of South Dakota directly to my laptop is a wonderful way for me to intensify my enjoyment of photography. Bill

Indeed I have a brick and a half of unused Agfa B&W since I went digital. The possible quality is up in the 4x5 film range with good technique. Such images are best viewed quite large, which is a different type of viewing and the small thumbnails are a different experience. That said I will try to get some photos posted. I am lucky to own a small float plane which gives access to many remote and beautiful locations.

Regards. Tom

Dear Tom,
Love all of your photos, particularly the B&W ones.
Which program did you use to merge the photos to produce your wonderful pano's.
Program I use produces increased density in areas where overlap occurs.
Love to see more of your work.
All the best.
Kind regards
Peter
P.S. (Currently in the cold, southern end, Albury, as opposed to sunny warm Cairns in Far Nth Qld Australia). Not quite as cold as Alaska though. Would love to travel to Canada and Alaska one day, your photos have made me feel like getting out my old 500CM into our Snowy Mtn Range for a day or two.

Hi

I just use the program in photoshop with at least 30% overlap. With wider angle lenses the circular module works better but usually the needs adjustment with transform/warp. Two issues can cause banding, light falloff and polarizers, exacerbated by wider lenses. The light falloff can be corrected in any number of programs.

I get down under once in a while, supposed to go Auckland, Melbourne, Sydney next month. We do fly over Cairns on the way to china etc depending on where the typhoons are up north.

Cheers. Tom

Dear Tom,
Just had the switch flick in my brain. Fliger 747. Whom do you fly for?
I do a bit of segelflug myself. Have a CPL with Command IR which I have never used, shame really.
I am often in Melbourne, grand children live there. Do you get some time off in Melbourne ever, or just fill up with fuel, Pax and out of there? If you get a bit longer would love to meet, shout you a cup of tea, you can have one of the great cakes at 'Hopetoun Tea Rooms' in The Block Arcade just off Collins St., talk about your amazing images, maybe go shoot a couple of photos whilst on a 'cafe crawl'. If you don't get to bring your Blad on your trips, luggage restrictions or whatever, just bring a CF card and I will bring both of my H3D's (22 and a 39) and a few lenses. You might have room in your map case for a couple of your images printed. they look so much better printed than on ipad.
Thanks for the advice re your pano's.
I don't have photoshop as yet. Had been toying with the possibility of 'Autopanopro' or 'PTGui'.
Did not realise Photoshop was capable of such beautiful pano's. Though, I get the feeling that the transform/warp thing might require a lot more tech skill than I possess.
Also did not realise the bands were due to light fall-off. I had thought might have just been an overlapping effect as you might get on a light box if you overlapped two transparencies. Thanks for 'enlightening' me.
All the best.
Kind regards
Peter

I fly for Atlas Air, we have the worlds largest fleet of 747 cargo freighters, including the new 747-8 and a number of passenger planes. We currently do the long haul bulk cargo for QANTAS and ANZ. Toward the end of the month I am supposed to go through Aukland and Melbourne. However one of the features of our flying for QANTAS is frequent schedule changes.

I do enjoy down under, though for Americans it has become somewhat expensive due to the exchange rate. I was in Melbourne a number of years ago when the heat and forest fires were at a maximum. Flying foxes were dropping out of the trees! Nice countryside, always amazed at the number of horse farms.

Regards. Tom

Back