Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Why medium format..

daveo228i

I began shooting medium format in the 1980's. My equipment was Mamiya 6x4.5s. I had begun with one and then saw the advantages of a second body. Sometime later I was using a Pentax 6x7. I was shooting for stock and editorial work. I really enjoyed getting my work back from the lab. The 6x7 images were big and showed detail that 35mm could not do. Today I'm retired, but still will grab a camera snd shoot just for my fun and pleasure. I have a beautiful Rolleiflex TLR with a working meter and spotless glass. My arsenal also includes a Hasselblad 503CW. It is fitted with either a metered 45 degree or 90 prism. Two lenses, a CF 50 T F4 and a late model C 80 2.8 T. Also available is a Pentax 6x4.5 auto focus with 4 auto lenses. I only shoot film.

daveo228i - you certainly have good taste in your medium format choices. Like you , I stared with a Mamiya 645 and even used a Lubitel for a short time (I pretend I never heard of that camera). I have loved medium format gear and continue to use it even though it is a long time since I took photography seriously. My main MF camera today is the Contax 645 and I like to play around with it when indoors - I have one set up with a Contax body, Hasselblad Ixpress 132C back, Mamiya Sekor Auto Bellows and lens via a Zoerk Adapter and a Pentax 6x7 Chimney WLF. I still use a Fuji GA645Zi, Mamiya RZ67s, Fuji GX680III and a couple of Pentax 6x7s. The great thing about MF is that taking a photograph becomes an occasion - you really stop and think about the image you are trying to create - even when using a digital back. I'm really sad that 220 and instant film is virtually impossible to buy any more - I used to use a lot.
C645 Hybrid.jpg
  • OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. - E-M1
  • OLYMPUS M.12-40mm F2.8
  • 34.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100
Fav rev.jpg

Hay Globe bloom rev2.jpg

Taken on a Contax 645 with Ixpress back and Zeiss 45mm lens