Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

ARTIXSCAN F1 FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Ice works on color films and C/41 type B&W films ... it does NOT work on real B&W film such as Tri-X, etc.

This is true for all film scanners with Digital ICE. Digital Ice is not a Microtech product, it is a Kodat technology that's a licensed program used by many scanner companies.

I'm sure this is what the tech guys meant. At least I hope this is what they meant : -(

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your helpful and generous reply. I shall try that. It does sound complex but I'll have an experiment.

It had never occurred to me to try sensor cleaning to film but it sounds a very good idea and I'd be very interested to know how you get on.

Best wishes,
John

I have just looked at that article, thanks Marc and it is very interesting. I will definitely give it a go.It doesn't look too difficult either.

I suppose it works because the ICE layer is only painted on to parts of the uniced image leaving the rest of the uniced image unaffected by potential ICE softening.

Cheers,
John

Hi Jürgen,

Looking at the scans from Imacon 848 and the F1 scanner you posted I can see that the F1 scan lacks in detail in the dark area. Gives me a thought about the d-max of 4. something it says in the specs.

I am curious about the 8x10, is that also using glassless holder? I am planning to use oilmounting for 8x10 if that is possible with Fi. The result from different reviews has been very good on Epson V750 by using it direct on the glass and not in its holder.

I have been waiting to see how F1 compares to V750 before deciding what to get.

How is the 8x10 scanned in F1 Jürgen?

Best¨Soren

Hi I have never posted here before, I found this "test" interesting.
I would just like to pass on my observations on the two scans. The Imacon is clearly better, there is more shadow detail and highlight detail in the imacon. Top left of the images is a brown scratch clearly visible on the Imacon, but nearly gone on the microtek.

Kevin.

I have just received this reply from Microtek after I queried the ICE question with them again following our discussion:

"Dear John,

the ArtixScan F1 supports ICE function with film.
In tranparency mode it uses the 'normal' cold-cathode l& and a IR
(infrared) l&.

ICE is only supported when using the shipped glassless frame holders ( 4” x 5” Film Holder, 6 x 22cm Film Holder, 135mm Film Strip Film Holder, 35mm Slide Framed Holder ) The ICE function doesn't work when the universal glass holder is in use.

--

Kind Regards
Microtek Support"

z04_augenroll.gif

A request for Jürgen!

It would be nice of you if you would like to upload some high res scans, preferable unsharpned so we can play with them by ourself :0)

I used this free file-sharing service Join 4Shared Now! for my full res downloads wen I did my Canon 8800F review.
It alow you to upload 100mb files and gives you 5 GB of free storage!

Kevin,

You are comparing the results from two scanners that are not calibrated and may vary in density etc.
A good comparison needs to be done with calibrated equipment.

Jürgen posted his scans to give us some idea of the first results from the Microtec.No more than that.
These results are very promising and show that good scans may be obtained from a scanner costing only 10% of the price for a Flextight scanner.
Top quality demands top dollar. There is no way around that.

The M1 does not have Digital Ice. Can someone give me a definitive answer concerning the F1? Does the F1 have Digital Ice or not?

I found this info at http://www.imaging-resource.com
They have a review unit ( Review seams to have seized thought:0( )

"There are two M1 packages: the $649 M1 and the $799 M1 Pro. The difference between the two is in the bundled software and accessories.

You see that immediately when you open the M1 Pro box to find a second set of four film holders, which is not supplied with the M1. While scanning a set of 12 35mm slides, you can load a second holder. Scan four strips of 35mm film while you load another four. Scan 22cm of 120 film (four frames) while you load more, or two 4x5s while you clean the next two.

Contents. Alternate scanning software packages, calibration software, OCR software, manuals and more.

Larger film can be placed on the included glass holder that replaces the film holder drawer on the transparency bed. Microtek supplies a set of black vinyl tapes with the company name on them to hold the odd-sized film on the glass.

The scanner itself is accompanied by a power cord and a USB cable.

One thing that's missing, however, is Kodak's Digital ICE. Considering the performance hit, we weren't much disappointed by that decision."

Source:http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/M1/M1.HTM

Regarding my previous post!

Do they rely make two different hardware versions?

Or is ICE just disabled in software?

If so it would be easy to just download the F1 drivers to get ICE activated for the M! !!!???

After all it would be more expensive to produce two versions of hardware.

They do it with dishwasher machines, same hardware with different model number due to witch touch button template they stick to the front of the machine ( Yes I have seen this ).

Same with cars, especially turbo engine cars more cash gives you new software and more horsepower.

/S

GETTING TO KNOW YOUR ARTIXSCAN F1

On page 1 of the supplement booklet with the above title it reads as follows :

. . . . .The scanner also features the PictuRescue (TM) system with DIGITAL ICE Technology to reconstruct damaged photos and film , as well as ColoRescue (TM) to restore faded color .

So the F1 definately has DIGITAL ICE . It must be activated from the scanner software .

I would like Microtek to clarify this issue, and specify what are the differences, if any, between the F1 and the M1.

Tony,

I asked Microtek what the difference was between the M1 and the F1 some time ago and they said that there is no difference. They are just different names for different continents I suppose. I think M1 for USA and F1 for Europe - no idea why. I don't know which version for Australia.

I believe that there are two versions of the F1. The more expensive one having more advanced bundled software.

I you ask Microtek any questions, you have to be persistent to get a reply.

Their email address for the Europe is: support@microtek.de

If you see the posts above from Jürgen and me, Jürgen's illustrate what the manual says about ICE and there are also Microtek's replies to me on that subject.

Best wishes,

John

Hi Stefan,

Strange that the reviewer says that there is no ICE. He must have missed that it has to be activated.

His evaluation of the results will be interesting but his comment about "the performance hit" is intriguing.

John

This discussion about ICE vs no ICE makes me wounder....
z04_smiliebath.gif

Is digital ICE a pro feature or is it just for lazy amateurs?
Doesn't a real PRO retouch by hand in Photoshop?..
..since ICE is an semi automatic feature and wont let you
control everything that happens, am I right?

Any PRO around that can give us his/her thoughts regarding ICE?

/Stefan
www.stockholmviews.com

Hi Stefan,

What makes you think that amateurs are lazy?

If you read the posts above by Marc, you may get some ideas about using ICE.

Best wishes,

John

Thank's John!
I loved that Luminous landscape tutorial!
Thats the way I will use this feature in the future :0)

S/

Back